Sunday 27 September 2015

Weekend Morning with a Toddler



Before my son was born, weekends meant that I get to wake up past 8 AM in the morning. Well, I don’t really wake up late. I think the latest would be around 9 AM. But at least would be able to stretch a bit while lying in bed. My husband and I can have a slow start to our weekend mornings. We can spend a few more minutes chatting in bed before somebody volunteers to start making some coffee.


Now that my son is here, he gets to dictate our schedule. We are awake when he is awake, which is around 7 AM (if we are lucky!). He is our alarm clock, and he can go off at random times each day. There is no telling what time he will wake up for a certain day. We are lucky if he wakes up consistently at the same time for a week; only to change it the week after. 

Sometimes, it feels surreal that we have been sleeping for less than 8 hours for more than 19 months now. It is just amazing to see how time flies by so quickly, we hardly notice that we have been into this parenting thing for so long.

Weekend mornings
My son's version of "Good Morning Mom!"

Fast forward to today, I still don’t get to stretch idly in bed during the weekend mornings. We wake up the moment he wakes up. Am I complaining? A bit maybe. But the moment my son wakes up, is a start of a happy day for me. It means that I get to hug my little rascal good morning and start a new day with him. It meant that I can expect a hand or foot in my face as he tries his best to wake me and his dad. It meant I can hear his contagious giggles as he tries to poke my nose, ears, mouth, and eyes just so I will stop pretending to sleep.


Parenting is not always full of roses. There were bad days that I wish would just quickly pass by. But I can’t exchange simple, happy moments like waking up each day with my son for anything in the world. I still miss my slow and lazy weekend mornings. But for now, I will savor each moment while my son is still this cute little fella. Time flies by so quickly, I am pretty sure the day will come when I wish my son is a baby again. I know other moms out there do, and I am certain that I will feel the same way soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment