Thursday 3 September 2015

Tips When You Need to Buy Readymade Snacks



As mentioned in my previous post, there are times that I can’t prepare my son’s meals. Just like any other working moms out there, I don’t always have the time to do everything! As much as I want to keep everything homemade, there are times when it is impossible. So I do the next best thing for me: buy store-bought snacks. It is better than to allow my son to go hungry, right?
However, I just don’t buy snacks just because that’s what other kids eat or because that’s what I used to eat when I was little. To choose ready-made snacks, here are some things moms can keep in mind in choosing what to put in the grocery basket and what I do before handing over for kids to eat:
  • Avoid overly sweet or salty food. Even your local public health nurse recommends not giving salty and sweet food to your little one (until the age of 3). Small children’s internal organs are not ready to process huge amount of salt and sugar in their teeny-tiny bodies. Studies show that what we eat when we were little has an impact on our food choices later in life. Avoid cream-biscuits, wafers, or crisps when buying ready-made snacks for your kids.
  • Don’t fall for the organic labels, read the ingredients. Moms these days are easily drawn into the organic food labels, thinking that organic meant healthy. While it could be true for some brands, not all food labeled as organic are healthy. So when shopping for ready-made snacks, make sure to read the ingredients list. If there are anything in the list that you are not familiar with, it is more likely to be artificial.
 
Ingredients List of Kids Readymade snacks
Left vs Right: See the difference?

  • Check the expiration date. Make sure that the pack you bought is not yet expired or way in advance of the Best Before Date.
  • Taste it first before giving it to your kids. A lot of issues these days show that even the well-known brands falling culprit to negligence in food preparation. Moms reporting of molds inside a packet of flavored milk or fruit smoothie are rampant these days. Even if the packet indicate that the item is way before its Expiration or Best Before Date, it is better to take a few sips especially if you can’t see the contents before handing it over to your child. It is always better to go on the side of pre-caution than to get the risk of food poisoning.
  • Try to avoid flavored options. These usually applies to dairy products such as flavored milk and yogurt. Do you know how easy it is to add sweetness to these items naturally? My advice is to buy the plain ones because it allows you to cut the sugar amount drastically! Buy plain fresh milk or plain Greek yogurt for your kids. To sweeten, you can easily add fresh fruits such as banana, berries, or cooked apples. I recommend to add a drop of maple syrup or honey (if your child is more than 12 months).

Note: I store a couple of packets of ready-made snacks in the cupboard to make sure my son has something ready for snacking on days I am unable to cook for him. If my first choice brand is not available, I try to buy the next best alternative. My goal is still to provide my son with healthier and homemade food choices. 

I also buy fresh fruits. Sliced fruits are a nice snack for little ones. Kids will particularly love eating some sliced apples, a banana, or plum as a snack. Snacks are meant to keep your kids from getting hungry as they wait for the next meal such as lunch or dinner. So it need not be too heavy to avoid losing appetite for the meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment