Tuesday 25 August 2015

Mommy's Letter to my Little One



It is raining today. It seems like summer has officially ended here in Ireland. Terrible weather aside, my day didn’t start quite right. Apart from our usual morning nanny on vacation (we do have somebody to cover for her), my son decided to wake up late than usual, ruining his “schedule”. I also had early morning calls that prompted me to give brief instructions to the cover nanny in the morning. As I had my calls, I learned that my son decided he didn’t want to take his lunch (and the nanny seemed to forget to give his fruit). As my work day went, I learned how tight the schedules are for the project I am in (I am not sure how much involvement I will have). I was trying to keep my head around my task for work when my son woke up as soon as the afternoon nanny arrived. He refused to be consoled so it prompted me to step in and give him a 15-minute cuddle/breastfeeding time. Even after that session, my son wants more of me. As he constantly gripped on my shirt and never left my side. Fast forward later, he still won’t take his snack and still won’t leave my side. The only thing that distracts him is to watch a video from his nanny’s mobile. It’s OK but watching meant no eating. So I am not sure how much he has taken for the day.

Having two different nannies for the morning and afternoon is quite difficult for me since I am working-from-home. The past months, I have been trying to work around my work schedule, the nannies schedule, and my son’s schedule just to get the harmonious timeline at home from 8 AM – 5 PM. Like anybody else working, I have deadlines. I have calls during office hours that I need to dial in to. When my son has a bad day or decided he wants Mommy, it is terribly difficult for me to focus on my job as an employee without feeling bad that I need to deliberately ignore my son. Add to the fact that there is a need to teach any new nanny about the routine/techniques/tricks on how to deal with my son. It is one of those things I have come to know over the months that we have somebody minding my son as I work (or try to work). As mothers, we have that certain instinct to identify what our child needs/wants or how to handle a situation. But we can’t ask or expect the same with a stranger, no matter how “good” they are with kids. My son could go on screaming his brains out because he doesn’t want what is in the TV but the nanny will never “get” it.

I am one of those Moms who want things done perfectly. But as each day pass by, I learned to let go of some things since I don’t have control over it. I learned to accept that my son behaves differently with me than with her nannies, no matter how much he likes to play with them. I learned that if I want things done according to my standard, I should do it myself. I learned that it is impossible for my son not to cry when I hand him to his nanny because he obviously wants me. I learned to accept it is hard to expect the same results if I mind my son personally or if he is with his nannies. But despite learning of these things early on, a day like this is still hard not to feel bad about.
 
But what really led me to this post/rant? Well, I think this is for my son when he grows up. I might let him read this to let him know how bad today went for the two of us. Probably he will not remember this day of his childhood when he grows up. I do hope that what he remembers are the time that I try to be really there for him. I hope that the days and hours I allocate to make time for him sticks with him rather than the time I pass him to his nanny as he shriek in protest. I would show this to him so he will know what my thoughts are for today and how I wish I am in the situation where I can just be there for him.

It is still raining, my son not eating, work pending, and house a bomb site. What a day, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment