Friday 21 August 2015

Healthy Crackers Recipe: Parmesan and Oregano



My son loves to eat crackers or anything crunchy as a snack. He would eat the usual food I prepare for him but would eat crackers with so much gusto; it’s as if he is eating a steak! Probably if he can only have his way, he would always eat crackers. Whenever I give him a piece, it will never end up on the floor or in his hair! He will finish the entire thing with a big grin on his face!

I also love to eat crackers especially if I can have a bit of cheese or dip in it. But we all know that it is not that healthy. Some crackers are too salty and it is difficult to feel full by eating only a few pieces. Because of this, I try my best to make my son’s crackers at home. It is actually very simple and easy to make! The downside to it is that because I don’t put additives, I need to throw leftovers (if any) after 1-2weeks.

Recently, I also discovered that my son loves cheese. When I first introduced him to cheese, I was buying the Mini Babybel Cheese or the stretchy cheese. He didn’t like them (but I do! LOL) and would spit it out the moment he tasted it. I stopped trying to give him cheese for snacks until I bought some grated red cheddar and mozzarella. I tried to give him just a few strands to taste and was surprised to see him eating it and asking for more!

I have made these crackers before for my son and made it again since he likes them so much! Try it and hope your little one would love it too!

Healthy Crackers Recipe
Healthy Parmesan and Oregano Crackers!


Recipe:
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup grated parmesan
5 tbsp dried oregano
¼ cup oil (I used olive oil for this)
About ½ cup water

Note: If you don’t like the grainy texture wholemeal flour has, you can make the crackers by using just plain flour.


1. Mix all the ingredients together except for the water. Combine the ingredients by hand. You should have a sand-ish consistency.

2. Gradually add the water while kneading. Keep on adding the water until you are able to form a dough ball.

3. Once your ingredients are solidly formed in a ball, try to roll it to your desired thickness. Note that the thinner you roll the dough, the easier it is to make it crispy!

4. Pre-heat your oven to 175C.

5. Continue rolling the dough and mold the crackers to your desired shape. Use cookie cutters if you like!

6. Cook the crackers for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take it out of the oven and flip to the other side.

7. Put it back inside the oven to cook for an additional 10 minutes.

8. Let it cool before storing in an airtight container.

Additional Note: I have been making these crackers a while now and learned it is best to store the excess dough in the freezer :) My son can easily finish just 1 tray in a week so I prefer to bake frequently to make sure he is eating freshly baked crackers.

Note: Here are the ingredients/items I used to create this recipe:

No comments:

Post a Comment